DIST. 7 WHITTER NARROWS CONTEST

John jacontrera at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 17 16:16:21 AKDT 2004

 An interesting little story about the Advanced class winner, Dave Dehart (Team Yuma).
  Dave & I got to the Whittier Narrows flying field at about 7:30am Saurday morning and wanted to get a quick flight in before the contest started. So Dave fired up his Desire and went out for his warmup flight. I also went out to fly a few minutes later. After a bit Dave called out that he was landing and if any one knows the Whittier site, the landing pattern is generally from right to left, with a "little" obstacle to clear on the right.  then heard Dave call out he had a dead stick, then he said "I'm not gonna make it" and "I just landed in the shooting range", which is the "little obstacle" about a 10 ft high brick wall to clear on the right. I said "no way" and even though I was flying and didn't see it happen, I didn't think it could be good. I landed right away and started to go over there to see if I could help out. Dave and Lynn Burke (contest CD) had already gone over to the shooting range to retrieve the plane, and as I had just cleared the corner into the range,  Dave was carrying his plane, fully intact with NO damage at all. He had apparently missed all the obstacles in the shooting range and the plane had stopped about 2 inches from hitting the block wall. A perfect no look, no see landing. Talk about plain old luck, or with Dave's plane it would be old plane luck.
Congrats Dave, for your win and your "landing"
John Contreras