hopper

Karl G. Mueller kgamueller at rogers.com
Fri Aug 13 17:51:35 AKDT 2004

Dave,

Friction is certainly one of the factors in pressure loss as is a small
diameter fuel tubing. The greater the distance from carburetor to tank
the more loss of negative pressure (suction) that is created in the fuel
line at the carburetor. This was the main problem with all the fuel
passages on the ST G2300. Just one look at the fuel nipple on the
carburetor, which is the same size as on a .40 size engine, would tell
you that is was too small in diameter. The internal passages in the
carburetor were too small as well. Once I opened these up the carburetor
worked fine.
A larger size fuel tubing would certainly improve the loss of pressure
due to friction. The longer the tubing, the more loss. That would mean
changing all the fittings on the fuel tanks and fuel nipples on the engine
as well. The addition of a hopper tank seems to be the easier way to
circumvent the problem.

Karl G. Mueller
kgamueller at rogers.com