hopper theory & practice

Brian Young b.young8070 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Aug 13 05:54:33 AKDT 2004

I basically agree w/ you. But I think the comment Dave L has made in his last couple of questions makes sense.

Im just bored and need something to do while im waiting for the delivery truck to show up.  ;)

Bob...we would Never ignore you.....lol

rcaerobob at cox.net wrote:
I know everyone ignored my first response about this - but I think it deserves consideration, guys. The hopper setup probably WORKS simply because it is closer to the suction source (proximity to the spraybar/venturi). Being closer, it is easier for the engine to "draw" the fuel.

I really don't think there's a lot more to this issue than suction.

Bob P.
Pump-running-non-suction OS user and ARF flier

> From: Brian Young
> Date: 2004/08/13 Fri AM 08:52:12 EDT
> To: discussion at nsrca.org
> Subject: Re: hopper theory & practice
>
> Dave I think that your last couple of questions are what occur. If someone would put one in a hover for a few minutes to setup equilibrium it should lean once replenishment from the main tank becomes established in the new orientation, anyone want to try that? ;)
>

> ronlock at comcast.net wrote:
>
> Ive been a hopper tank diss-believer for years. I also wonder why many continue to report benefits. What's responsible for the benefit?
>
> I'm in agreement with Nat, and what "I think" Jerry has said regarding the fuel system with a FULL hopper tank being a column of fluid, and the hopper would have no benefit.
>
> Maybe hopper serves to eliminate foaming and bubbles? Do I understand heli pilots use hoppers for that reason?
>
> In practice do we usually have some air in the hopper? Or do we usually have a hopper tank that is flexible? Might we be drawing from the hopper without replenishing from the main tank during a vertical? Then the hopper gets replenished during level lines?
>
> Still wondering, Ron Lockhart
>
> > >Matt,
> > >With or without the hopper tank we still have a solid column of
> > >incompressible fluid for gravity and G's to play its tricks on. I
> > >contend if it runs ok with the hopper it will run just as well
> > >without. Nat
> >
> > Nat,
> >
> > While not exactly accurate as stated, your point is well taken. Your
> > hypothesis has some merit when the tank is full, but it falls short
> > anytime else (which is most of the flight). Adding just a small
> > amount of air causes the system to become compressible (just like the
> > brakes on your car).
> >
> > Jerry
> > --
> > Jerry Budd