hopper theory & practice

Jim_Woodward at beaerospace.com Jim_Woodward at beaerospace.com
Fri Aug 13 04:54:26 AKDT 2004

I'll take a stab as why the hopper tanks work.  Liquid may be
incompressible, but it is "movable".  The hopper tank has a fuel entry and
exit point.  Exit point being the clunk line that goes to the engine,
entry point being the vent line.  The hopper tank becomes a reservoir of
fuel.  Although I think you can argue that the entry and exit point fuel
velocity (or suction force) is the same, this cannot be said for the
middle of the tank were the suction force is diffused over a larger
volumetric cross section.  The image in my mind is a wind tunnel's
stilling chamber.  I think an interesting question would be this:  How
small can a hopper tank be to still provide the ease of fuel draw we are
looking for?  Can the hopper tank be reduced to a section of fuel tubing
that is "bubbled"?  Would the "bubble" work is there was a separate entry
and exit point like the vent and clunk lines of the hopper tank?  If the
bubble was 5 times larger than the ID of fuel tubing would it work?
Thanks,
Jim W.

ronlock at comcast.net
Sent by: discussion-request at nsrca.org