hopper theory & practice

ronlock at comcast.net ronlock at comcast.net
Fri Aug 13 04:34:49 AKDT 2004

Ive been a hopper tank diss-believer for years.  I also wonder why many continue to report benefits.  What's responsible for the benefit?
I'm in agreement with Nat, and what "I think" Jerry has said regarding the fuel system with a FULL hopper tank being a column of fluid, and the hopper would have no benefit.
Maybe hopper serves to eliminate foaming and bubbles?  Do I understand heli pilots use hoppers for that reason?
In practice do we usually have some air in the hopper?   Or do we usually have a hopper tank that is flexible?   Might we be drawing from the hopper without replenishing from the main tank during a vertical?    Then the hopper gets replenished during level lines?
Still wondering, Ron Lockhart