Wind correction / wings level * klipped *

Del Rykert drykert at localnet.com
Tue Aug 10 09:50:42 AKDT 2004

I have never seen it written or stated at any judging classes I've attended that a defect had to be a full 15º before a downgrade is deserved. As judges we are supposed to detect and penalize for the defects we see. I have always maintained the view that if I can see the defect than a downgrade is in order. That's why not many 10's are awarded.
    I do know that it says we aren't supposed to be downgrade for weather effects so when do bobbles become grounds for downgrading. If the plane is getting bounced by wind gusts we aren't supposed to penalize. I realize it happens as I received many penalties flying a smaller plane at the nats in the wind and when it wasn't getting bounced around I scored much higher.  I was the only 60 size on that line. Yes I do enjoy and know how to fly competively in the wind.
     del