Wind correction / wings level take 2

David Lockhart DaveL322 at comcast.net
Mon Aug 9 15:42:37 AKDT 2004

The "crab" angle needed is the same whether straight and level, straight up,
or straight down - assuming airspeed is constant.  Once the "crab" angle is
set to get the desired track, no inputs are needed other than those needed
to maintain the attitude and airspeed (not synonomous with groundspeed) of
the plane as compensation for wind gusts or altitude variations.  I say
"crab" in quotes because the airplane is not really crabbing (unless you are
holding rudder, or "slipping" with opposite rudder and aileron) - it only
appears to be crabbing because we (pilots and peanut gallery) are standing
on the ground (a fixed reference, not moving like the air the plane is
flying in).

The crab angle needed is simple vectors - direction the plane is pointed
(attitude) plus the crosswind component equals track of the plane - if the
track isn't what you want, change the attitude of the plane.  Given constant
airspeed, the vector sum (track) does not change whether the plane is
horizontal or vertical up/down - because the vector sum does not change - so
there is no need to use aileron or rudder in the corners or anywhere else.

BUT - always an exception(s) right?  It is very difficult to truly maintain
constant speed, and wind gusts are real - so those are some reasons
adjustments to the attitude of the plane need to be made (whether done with
rudder or aileron, the direction of the plane is changed).  And when the
plane is not on the desired line, the crab angle must be increased or
decreased to get back to the desired line.  And in strong winds, extreme
crab angles rarely get scored well - it gets very hard to score a "10" to a
square loop that has a 30 degree difference between track and attitude (in
pitch, assume wind is down the runway), or a stall turn that leans 30
degrees in yaw (direct crosswind) and only rotates 120 degrees at the top.

Changing the crab angle of the plane (actually changing the vector heading
of the plane is what we really want) can be done several ways - banking the
wing, holding the rudder, or in corners by slightly dropping a wing - which
is a "stealth" way to make the change.

I have left out some details - but they get pretty specific to airplane
design and setup - suffice to say the "best" piloting technique is not
exactly the same for all planes - but we are getting down to the last couple
% at that point.

Regards,

Dave Lockhart
DaveL322 at comcast.net