Wind correction / wings level

Jim_Woodward at beaerospace.com Jim_Woodward at beaerospace.com
Mon Aug 9 05:12:12 AKDT 2004

Hi All,

I want to bring up a discussion point about wind correction.  This may
seem obvious to some but I want to ensure I have the right picture in my
mind (started thinking about this since Don S. posted his comments about
Q.S. flying wind correction in finals, and confirmed during some practice
yesterday).
1.  Wind correction is supposed to be done while maintaining wings level.
2.  You are supposed to use the yaw angle to correct for the wind.
Situation:  Pilot is flying a square loop ( at center).  Wind is blowing
90 degree out 20 mph.  Pilot fly's past center at a some yaw angle in to
compensate for the wind blowing out.  The pilot pulls a 90 degree radius
to a vertical upline.  The fuselage is canted in to the wind to compensate
for the wind blowing out.  *Point of discussion:  If the pilot were to
pull another 90 degree radius, the wings would become "unlevel" as the
plane reaches the top leg of the square loop.  *Point of discussion:  So,
if the pilot is using the correct technique for wind correction (wind
correcting force being yaw angle), then every time the pilot creates a
radius, you should definitely "see" the ailerons moving the wings through
the radius to ensure that as the radius is finished, the wings are level
for the next line and the fuselage is yawed for wind correction.  Same
thing next radius;  The pilot adds pitch, moves the wings,  and adds the
correct rudder to transform the top of the box line to the next downline
(wings level, yawed into the wind), etc.

*Point of discussion:  We spend a lot of time concentrating on wings level
for normal pattern flying and usually "any" type of aileron or wing
movement is a visual key for a downgrade using the 1 pt / 15 degree rule.
However, this is false to accurately judge flying on a windy day.  In
order to fly in a crosswind, nearly EVERY radius will have some amount of
roll induced (and necessary) to ensure that the "lines" can be flown with
wings level and in order to utilize yaw as the wind-correcting force.

That said/ when and how much roll should be used?  I would guess that you
would want to seamlessly input the pitch, aileron, and rudder so that the
plane just appears to go from one wind corrected line to the other
magically.  What is the judging criteria for inputting a roll function in
the radius to ensure the wings stay level & fuselage stays canted (yawed)
into the wind from one wind corrected line to another?  Should the amount
of aileron needed to go from one wind corrected line to another line start
and finish corresponding to the actual duration of the radius?  What if
the pilot only correct s the wing as the plane is nearing the end of the
radius, is this some downgrade because the correction was placed near the
end of the radius instead of "evenly-througout" the radius?

I'm sure I'm exaggerating this situation and I am purposefully, to
stimulate some talk on the subject.  Again, my contention is that for some
wind conditions, in order to maintain the overall geometry of the maneuver
that there MUST be roll correction during radii to seamlessly move from
one wind corrected line to another, and this roll correction should not be
downgraded.

Any takers?
Jim W.