Contest attendance?

Terry Terrenoire amad2terry at juno.com
Mon Aug 9 02:11:31 AKDT 2004

I just returned from my annual week in the adirondacks, camping with my
wife and another couple. We have been doing this nearly every year since
the late 70's. So I missed our AGS contest for the 2nd time in the past
20 years. As current President, I made contact last night with one of our
key members to get the scoop.

Much to my dismay, I was informed that we had just 21 contestants, not
including our own members. Not too many years ago we had 70, and our
average for about 15 years was in the 50's.

I have not gotten a list of the attendees yet, but I know there were some
active competitors who did not show. This was our 49th annual holding of
this contest, and at this attendance level, I feel that our 50th may well
be the last that the organizers and the club will be willing to support.

There was a lot of talk about attending this contest at the prior D-1
contests and we certainly were expecting a little better support. The
club has a reputation for running a very good event, and the site is one
of the best available for a contest. Flat horizon, large fly over area
with no intimidating crops or trees. Very close to major interstate. Good
accomodations available, as well as on site camping. Good Sat evening
"banquet" included in registration fee. and lots of near-by activities
for non-flying family members to visit. We also just changed the dates a
few years ago because the first week in June found too many not quite
ready yet. We decided to go after the NATs to alow for a wind down period
for NATs competitors, and provide a good contest for those who did not go
to Muncie. The first contest in D-1 since the last weekend in June!

Especially to all you D-1 contestants who did not attend, Just what do we
have to do to get you to come?

Terry T.
President, Aero-Guidance Society