Judging questions(humpty bump)

Mike East mweast at prodigy.net
Thu Aug 5 13:29:14 AKDT 2004

OK,
bare with me Im not being difficult,  Im seriously trying to make sure I get this right.

So what if you pulled short on the backside of the 1/2 loop you would downgrade because the 1/2 loop isnt symmetrical. They have to match up to one another, right?

So the 1/2 loops symmetry only counts as one of 3 radii in the maneuver. If it is not symmetrical its a downgrade. Then there is a 2nd downgrade becuase then its radius did not match the radii of entry and exit.

So you
Downgrade accordingly for the assymetry of the 1/2 loop,
and then also downgrade accordingly because the overall radius of the 1/2 loop was at least somewhat different than the entry and exit radius?

I think I may have just answered my own question..

DaveL322 at comcast.net wrote:

Mike,

"its my understanding that the radius of the 1/2 loop at the top of the humpty bump should also be equal to the entry and exit radii at the bottom of the maneuver. "

***That is correct.

If 2 different radii are present in a manuever with 3 radii, 1 radius would be downgraded, and the amount of the downgrade would depend on the severity of the difference between the 2 different radii - it could be as little as 1/2 point or as much as 3 points.

A humpty bump has 3 radii - entry, top (bottom), and exit. Entry and exit radii are 1/4 loops, and top (bottom) radius is 1/2 loop. Same as a single loop has 1 radius - it is not 4 x 1/4 radii.

A related aspect I believe not yet discussed in this thread - downgrades for "looping errors" can be applied to maneuvers with a single radius - ie, a single loop - if the radius is not constant, the downgrade(s) would be applied based on the severity of the change(s) in the radius. So on manuevers with multiple radii, two types of "looping" downgrades can be applied - for radii not matched to each other, and for variances within a given radius. On "square" manuevers it is very common to see the corners start and end with a radius that is larger than the middle of the corner.

Dave

Dave,
You made mention earlier in this line of discussion that the entry and exit radii of a humpty bump should be the same and that is true.
Just to further the discussion on that point for myself and maybe someone else, and Im looking for agreement or disagreement here, its my understanding that the radius of the 1/2 loop at the top of the humpty bump should also be equal to the entry and exit radii at the bottom of the maneuver.

i.e.. You cant have entry and exit radii that match, but a larger radius on the 1/2 loop at the top without at least a 2 point downgrade I dont think. Because overall that means there are 2 different of a possible 4 total radii (1 entry 1/4 loop to upline, two 1/4 loops to make 1/2 loop at the top, and 1 exit 1/4 loop from downline to level flight) in a humpty bump. Its no different that the 4 radii of a square or round loop. Don, or any other rules guru, is this correct or am I offbase?

Mike