Bob Skinner's definition

Bill Glaze billglaze at triad.rr.com
Thu Aug 5 09:23:52 AKDT 2004

Earl:
Inasmuch as the language in the rule book seems to suggest that the
distance is set, rather arbitrarily, because of visibility problems
caused by (possibly) excessive distance, it would seem that your idea is
reasonable.  If you can see it, then it is judgeable.
The only downside, as I see it, is there would need to be another
definition of "downgrades."  It was suggested to me in the past that "if
an airplane is so far out it can't be seen  well as far as mistakes go,
then you can't give the pilot credit for those things he does
correctly."  But, we are using downgrades solely as penalties.  So if,
for whatever reason, (including excessive distance) we are unable to see
the airplane well enough to assess penalties, then the judges only
remaining option is the "N.O." on the score sheet.  "If you can't see
it, you can't score it."  We could be painting ourselves into a corner,
here.
I agree that this subject should be revisited by the relevant committees
and possibly a "clean sheet of paper " type of thinking may be required,
particularly in light of the new distance requirement in performing the
rolling circle.
Or so I see it, from the sidelines.

Bill Glaze