Judging Questions

Ron Van Putte vanputte at cox.net
Tue Aug 3 18:16:52 AKDT 2004

On Aug 3, 2004, at 7:32 PM, David Wartel wrote:

> Please pardon my ignorance, but I'm fairly new to pattern and judging.
> I'm having a hard time understanding this. Nothing was said about this
> at the judging seminar I attended in June, (that I remember) except
> that radii should be equal. Also, if maneuvers are judged on symmetry,
> how can, for instance, a square loop or cuban eight be symmetrical if
> the radii are not all equal?
>
> Matt, I hope you can clarify your answer as it seems contradictory to
> me. On one hand the first radius does not set the standard for the
> others, but the entry and exit radii should be the same for Humpty's
> and top hats etc??

What Matt said is correct.  There are several radii in many maneuvers.
The first radius does not set the standard.  If it did, it would be
easier on the judge.  For example a square loop has four radii.  The
judge must decide whether they all were equal and, if not, which is the
standard.  If two were done with one radius and two were done with
another radius, different from the other two, there are two errors.
The judge must decide which to use as the standard and how much the sum
of the downgrades are for the other two.  All this must be done before
judging on the next maneuver is started.  Nobody said judging was easy.
  <BG>

Ron Van Putte