Suggestions for entry level pattern plane

Paul Horan phoran at vvm.com
Fri Apr 30 19:21:05 AKDT 2004

Evan,
    As a start in sportsman, then entry level for pattern, a Tiger 60 or Venus will do OK.
What will make the greatest difference is practice with a buddy/coach.  I expect you will
outgrow the Tiger quickly, I don't know about the Venus.  Some planes that do well in
Sportsman, without too steep a price tag, are U Can Do, Quest 3D.  I have some firsthand
knowledge with both of those.  Also the Freestyle by Global and Skylark by Hobby People
are worth looking into.  All of these planes are ARFs and range in price from $100 for
the Skylark to 250 for the Quest.
    The bottom line here is to enjoy the contest regardless of what plane you fly.
Practice with someone who has flown or judged pattern will enhance this.
Best of luck,
Paul