Practice Regiment

Rcmaster199 at aol.com Rcmaster199 at aol.com
Wed Apr 28 20:17:35 AKDT 2004

Ed, I have heard and read that the top fliers can only really concentrate for
about 4 full blown pattern flights in a session, about 4-5 times a week. I
remember a bunch of years ago, the great Hanno Prettner writing that if
something isn't perfect, he went back and flew it under his father's keen scrutiny,
until perfect. He went on to say that he would travel to other parts of Europe
where weather was similar to that expected in the big meets, and he would
practice in bad conditions and crosswind until he was comfortable.

So much for great fliers and their available time to do this in. As for the
rest of us who can barely get out once a week, I think that having a good
friend critique the flying, really helps. Good coaching must be practiced along
with good judging. The friend has to be able to observe and help with the
straight line sizes, the angles, the loops and rolls, can call center for you, lead
you to the spins, and help watch the box limits.

An easy way not to lose a few points a flight in a contest, is to call box
entry and exit everytime in practice until it's routine. Same for take-off and
landing if flying AMA schedules, at least for the rest of this year anyway.

If you find that friend that you feel comfortable being criticized by and
believe and have confidence in his/her views, then you could improve very
quickly. The bottom line is, you are the pilot and you have got to turn what you hear
into practice. If you can't bring yourself  to do that, might as well race
cars

As for me, I get to the field and play with the engine until I get so
disgusted I pack up and leave. (sigh!)

Matt K