Jaccio Perfect Switch Harness (long)

Troy Newman troy_newman at msn.com
Wed Apr 21 15:25:09 AKDT 2004

David

I have one word for you.....PCM!

Then I'll add a bunch more below!

PCM is better at rejecting interference. It will also lock your range tests
in better. Your comment about a little jittery is something I would not
trust in my own equipment.

Now PPM (FM) stuff is good. But the real question becomes how valuable is
your model? For me its not the money it takes to put another model into the
air. Its the time and energy it takes to put another model in the air. This
is regardless of the cost of the model. A $250 arf or a $1100 French
kit....The end result is it takes hundreds of hours to built trim and
perfect a model. Is this time worth the extra $50 to run PCM? Another thing
you are spending more money on your servos going with digital servos for
better control right...yet you are looking toward a lower end RX on the
technology scale. The servos are the link to the control surfaces...but the
RX is the link to your finger! There is a reason that all the top pilots run
PCM its a better system...It is a more reliable, and better technology.

OK now for the disclaimer....PCM will got out of range and can have problems
with range also....but its better at rejection of interference. Also when
you are range checking things......The PCM gives you a GO or NO-GO
test....The model will go into failsafe when range testing and the signal is
not enough to maintain control. On PPM systems you are left with "HOW much
jittering (glitching) is acceptable....In PCM system you know if you are out
of range or not....

If you range test your equipment to the distance it failsafe....then you
know right there is the limit....So start up your motor and compare the
distances.

Another thing we have found in the interference issues is the use of poor
quality extension leads. digital servos will draw more current regardless of
the brand....The use of off brand leads can lead to your models death. The
higher current demands may not be met by the off brand leads...The
connectors could be not up to the task.... It surprises me just how big an
effect poor quality leads really have. I know that both JR and Futaba make a
heavy duty lead. I don't know about Airtronics..I would suggest the JR gold
HD leads for your extensions.

I have been involved with 5-6 models in the past year that were running
Generic brand extensions and had radio interference issues...We replaced the
leads in the models with high quality OEM leads and the radio problems
vanished!

Just my personal advice. Not pushing any manufacturer over another just a
better technology. Better equipment can cost more. But in the end is your
model worth the extra 5-10% in total cost to be running the equipment that
gives you the best connection possible. Again its a matter of what the model
is worth to you. To me the walk into the field is worth a bunch more than
the extra detail things that can prevent that walk.

Troy Newman
Team JR