Nats newbie questions 2004 / Intermediate

Gray E Fowler gfowler at raytheon.com
Tue Apr 20 05:14:57 AKDT 2004

Chris

It is always good to check your plane for noise AND weight BEFORE you
leave. If you do not pass you will be disqualified on the last day-thats
when they check the planes. More people fail weight than noise. Your
engine set up will most likely pass, but there are a few things you need
to consider.

However you have it propped makes a big difference. The higher RPM you go
above about 8000, the closer you will be to failing. Try not to exceed the
low 8000's on the ground-if you already are change props. Multi blades are
quieter. You will be at site 4 which is grass, and the noise check is done
on grass. I think that checking on grass is a bigger benefit than the 2 dB
they give to those checked on hard surface.  My plane checks 95 db on hard
surface and at Municie on grass it was 92.

Also make sure that nothing is loose or rattling on your plane. Vibrating
chin cowls and canopies can add alot of noise.

Get access  to a scale. If you are real close to 5Kg then you need to know
exactly what you are flying (equipment)  once you get to Muncie.

Make sure your plane is under 2 meters. This sounds like a no brainer, but
few actually check this. and extra wing tips, or a little bit longer
rudder can mess you up here.

They have the scale, the 2 meter check fixture, and the dB meter set up in
advance so you can check your plane, but if you fail during the pre-check
you will need to be able to modify the problem when you are up in Muncie,
which could be difficult.

Gray Fowler
Principal Chemical Engineer
Composites Engineering