Interesting Motor Discovery-OS1.60

Verne Koester verne at twmi.rr.com
Mon Apr 19 13:20:53 AKDT 2004

Lance,
Never thought about it, but it couldn't hurt. What got me started thinking about it in the first place was the condition of a glow plug after being in the engine over the winter.  It looked like it had stalagmites on it! As I recall, it was a piped .60 Rossi on a Curare. We're talking a good 20 years ago, here. About the same time, I read an article about nitric acid being a by-product of the combustion process of engines burning fuel with nitro. BTW, all the other normal storage things had been done (run dry, after-run oil, etc). My memory was a lot better back then so I stored that info in my head and put it to use when the season came to an end. I did everything the same and it was actually the same engine and pipe, except this time, I rotated the engine up against compression to close off the exhaust port, thereby shielding the innards of the engine from all those nasty fumes that were reportedly lurking around in our tuned pipes. The following spring, the glow plug and everything else was in good shape.
I've since read that the nitric acid thing was hogwash. Don't know if it is or not, but I've been storing 2-strokes with the piston closing off the exhaust port since that experience. Seems to help a bunch. Kinda one of those take it or leave it things that I'm unable to discuss with any technical expertise.

Verne