foam core question

Dean Pappas d.pappas at kodeos.com
Fri Apr 16 09:02:20 AKDT 2004

Hi Nat,
The long socket and joiner tube makes sense. Now what does your plane weigh? I know that it isn't 11 lbs! If it is around 8 lbs, like I expect, then one should be careful in extending that technique with heavier ships and/or shorter tubes.

Mark, I once had a plane suffer the tube tear-out failure. Fortunately, I successfully landed my new, super-dooper variable geometry winged Desire 120 and made a repair. I don't think that I still have the drawing I did for a column in FM about 10 years ago. I'll look. The neatest method, in my opinion is to cut the wing core completely in half (make the kerf 1/8" wide) and white glue the 1/8" lite-ply rib with tube hole and lightening holes, taking care to keep it straight by curing the glue in the weighted core beds.
Hope it helps,
Dean P.