Defensive judging to avoid retaliation. Are you guilty?

MargueriteVG at aol.com MargueriteVG at aol.com
Thu Apr 15 09:36:05 AKDT 2004

G              I like the fact that you sign your initials on the score
sheets. That is something that is very important. You will NOT find it at all
contest.  I request that the judges at  any of my events sign there name on the
score sheet.     Yes, and then it happens. A question comes up and guess what. It
just happens to be the unsigned sheet? Who was the judge?

Defensive judging. I have sat with judges that gave out the same scores to
just about everyone in the contest. That was not the true picture of the day.

 Some judges do not want to be responsible for the scores. They do not want
to deal with the pilots reactions at a contest.

 I think they want to avoid the controversy and that's it!  I would hope the
reason is not so they would obtain better scores when they fly.  That would be
even more of a problem.

  Lets face it we are all spending a lot of time and money at these contest.
Why bother at all if we are all going to play games with the scores.  Any
pilot who wants better scores from a friend is just wasting everyone's time.

I like the idea of flash cards held up for the scribes. I have always thought
that is the better way to go. We should really try it and see what the
results would be. I admit there could be problems with this but we cant work them
out till we try it.
See you at the contest
Marguerite