Judge Training /Contest Scoring

BUDDYonRC at aol.com BUDDYonRC at aol.com
Thu Apr 15 08:59:03 AKDT 2004

I contend one of the biggest problems with our judging system are judges who
just throw a score at a maneuver and will not use the system as designed.
We will always have different opinions concerning zero scores but objective
judging will go a long way toward assuring that the judging is on an equal and
correct basis, there are ways to do this.
Currently we never know when this is happening but I think it is more times
than most will admit.
If we want to get technical and assure that judges are using the judging
system as it was designed and not just throwing a number subjectively at a
maneuver, with currently available equipment we could add electronic scoring where
the judge would simply press a button to deduct points from the perfect ten
score when the maneuver is complete he would press another button to reset for the
next maneuver, the scores could be indicated on a lighted score card for all
to see along with a changing score as he deducts points for errors. the score
board could be large enough to have a place for all maneuver scores or could
have only two places which would indicate the last maneuver score and the one
in progress, in that case a scribe could transfer the score to a score sheet,
or if we want to have the ultimate system the results could be transferred
directly to the scoring system computer.
It would be interesting to know what such a system would cost. With things
coming out of China these days who knows maybe we could afford such an animal.
It sure would spruce up a contest.
Buddy