Snaps

Mike East mweast at prodigy.net
Tue Apr 13 18:55:28 AKDT 2004

Maybe a totally silly suggestion, but couldnt AMA or NSRCA generate a video either real or computer animated to demonstrate exactly what a snap roll as defined by the AMA rulebook should look like? Do it in slow motion and then in real time. Inverted, Upright, positive and negative. Demonstrate variations that are not legitimate snaps. Then show it at the judging classes and put it up on the NSRCA website, that way everyone would know exactly what it should look like. Some flight sims even show the transmitter at the bottom of the screen, recording it off of a flight simulator would be basically free. Im sure that any hotshot FAI pilot would be happy to demonstrate the AMAs intention to clear up the controversy. That way everyone could see, when performed properly the stick timing of the control inputs relative to one another i.e. when the "break" is initiated. With decades of debate it seems like it would have GREAT value and eliminate interpretations. Then when you see it performed
 either it is or it isnt.

Now tell me you couldnt do it because no one at AMA/NSRCA could agree on it so that the rule could be established and I would have to say eliminate the maneuver because it cannot be judged consistantly.

Just a thought.
Mike