Throw snap rolls out!!!!!!

Rcmaster199 at aol.com Rcmaster199 at aol.com
Mon Apr 12 16:32:22 AKDT 2004

Don't fret it so much Mike. Although I would agree that some can't seem to
agree on the correct parameters to watch for,  it isn't much different in full
scale aerobatics. Those judges have just as hard a time as us and I don't see
full scale throwing anything out any time soon. Quite the contrary. No, I'm not
that interested in judging or flying full scale aerobatics, BUT I try to
emulate their stuff.

One of the key things I feel, is to have a model that has the capacity to do
good snaps designed in. Many are not designed with snaps as the primary
maneuver to be performed. Pattern models traditionally have been designed for
smooth, graceful maneuvers, which typically means, smaller control surfaces.

Times have changed; snaps do tend to require larger contorl surfaces to
perform easily. That can be remedied when building the model. If a person doesn't
build, that's a different story and he is at the mercy of the ARF maker and
somebody else's idea of what it takes.

FWIW, I don't know what they allowed at the World's, I wasn't there, but
performing a snap that is essentially a fast axial roll, will earn you a goose egg
from the top judges in this country.

Earl Haury had a nice explanation on this list several months back and if you
saved it, it's worth revisiting

Matt K