140 DZ new header. . . what pipe?

Troy Newman troy_newman at msn.com
Mon Apr 12 12:13:36 AKDT 2004

Rex,

It is a very good design. I was very involved with the design of this header, and in my opinion is its the best solution I have ever seen for a header. It took a new thought process and some new manufacturing techniques that other headers have not used. I have been running the header in concept since about Thanksgiving time of 2003. I put lots and lots of flights on the system and it has been very solid. The production header I have had since the first of 2004. The only changes from the first ones to the production units was some cosmetic changes and making the system more compact and low profile. The attachment system is the same and has been trouble free the entire time.
The same goes for the new ES pipe with the 5/8" Beaded inlet. It has been run since about Christmas time on both 140's and the 160DZ.

I don't use any kind of header brace. I mount the pipe at the pipe inlet and at the stinger.....I don't have any trouble with header breakage. I don't think the new design header will have any trouble with breakage. The reason being where things usually break is in the changes in diameter, or at the flange of the motor. This new design eliminates both areas....they don't exist...Now somebody out there will eventually break an anvil with a rubber hammer....but I personally feel the new header is bullet proof!

My guess is I have a few hundred flights on the new pipe and header and it has not given problems. Its a very well engineered header.

I think the biggest step forward is now that the exhaust gases are expanding immediately out of the motor the noise and heat are reduced at the muffler. The system has a mellow smoother sound, and the exhaust system is much cooler. Both big improvements to the exhaust systems.

Troy Newman