Snap Switch

Bob Bob at enduremed.com
Mon Apr 12 07:03:44 AKDT 2004

Amen guys!  After re-entering R/C in 2000 (after a 25 year hiatus), my first
pattern plane was a gorgeous Typhoon built by Bob Roe.  I was so intrigued
with the new computer radios that I suppose I mixed every function possible
and among the computer functions I activated was the (you guessed it) snap
switch. I had completed about 10 flights on this beautiful aircraft when a
friend asked me to do a low altitude high airspeed pass and retract the gear
as I approached mid-field.  At first I thought a rocket propelled grenade
had impacted the left wing.  Then I thought what a funny reaction my perfect
airplane had to simple gear retraction.  Lastly I realized why a friend had
told me 2 things:

    1.  Do not activate the snap switch until you have won a Masters event.
    2.  If you do choose to activate the snap switch, make sure it is on the
opposite side of the transmitter from the retract switch.

I remember this event with the similar degree of pain and with every bit the
same clarity as my recollection of the JFK assassination.....ugg..

Bob