NO Flash cards

Ron rsbxon at ev1.net
Fri Apr 9 19:05:01 AKDT 2004

I vote for writing the scores down on a pad,  based on my experience.  I see no compelling reason for hand signals -- it seems more complex than simply writing them down on a piece of paper.  Also hand signals could introduce translation errors in that the judge cannot keep track of what the scribe has written down.  In FAI pattern, the maneuvers come very quickly and I believe it would be difficult, if not possible to, keep up using Flash cards or hand signals.   I also like the audit trail of the score-on-the-pad system.  I respectfully disagree that all the flyers need to see the scores real time -- In my experience few flyers have the time to watch their competitors fly due to maintenance on their airplane, calling for others, or simply want to rest.  I trust the judges to get it right and do not think we need to second guess zero's from the pit area.  TRAIN THE JUDGES AND LET THEM DO THEIR JOB.