The Big One

randy10926 at comcast.net randy10926 at comcast.net
Wed Apr 7 09:20:35 AKDT 2004

Pattern models have size and weigh limits that are based on the international FAI rules.  Simply they are no more than 2 meters and 5 kilograms.  Pattern model have differences that make is easier to fly the manuvers; like longer Fuses.

Many people fly both IMAC and Pattern.  Usually beginners can fly both with the same plane if they keep it small enough.  Though you are at a disadvantage flying an IMAC model in pattern; and I was told at an IMAC contest that I would be judged harder if I flew my pattern model in IMAC in the basic class.

Personnally I do not encourage people to invest in a larger 2meter pattern plane or a large giant-scale to start with.  Too large an investment with too much chance of losing it to start with.  Take a smaller step and get a 90 or 120 sized model and fly the manevers a lot.  Just try to keep it below 11 pounds or 5 Kg so you can do both.
Randy