The Big One

Ed Deaver divesplat at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 7 05:55:00 AKDT 2004

Agree with the size of planes being an issue for IMAC.

The biggest differences are the types of manuevers, Snaps and Spins early on in IMAC.
IMAC changes it's sequences every year.
IMAC judges a little more harshly, 1pt for 10degree deviation, vs 1 pt for 15 degree deviation for Pattern.
Pattern maneuvers begin 50fr(correct me if I'm wrong) prior to the maneuver and IMAC starts it next maneuver when the last one ends.
The box in IMAC is much larger and rarely enforced(even at the NATS) where as Pattern has a smaller box and is enforced at every contest I've been to.
IMAC doesn't judge landings and takeoffs as they fly the sequence twice through with every flight, with a short pause between the 2.  They count as seperate efforts though.  Pattern judges takeoff and landing with only going through the sequence once(with exception of some contests going through the Sportsman sequence twice but sill counting as only one effort)
IMAC has one flight of unknowns(exciting and fun) but pattern doesn't do that yet.
Noise rules are enforced in Pattern at the Nats, IMAC doesn't(I've been told), neither are enforced at local contests as a rule.
My experience also, Pattern pilots are much much more helpful than IMAC pilots, regardless of the hype you hear otherwise.  I have seen it time and time again.

As stated, both are fun and both are aerobatics. I can personally say for IMAC with 2 40%competitive airplanes and trailer the cost was $20000.  In Pattern 2 competitive airplanes $5000.  This is the main reason my choice is Pattern plus I started in Pattern.

Ed
"Edward C. Hernandez" <ehernan3 at peoplepc.com> wrote:
   Ok, I've waited long enough and I'm ready to pop the big newbie question: what is(are) the difference(s) between NSRCA and IMAC? I understand that for IMAC you need a scale model(except for basic class), while it is clear to me that NSRCA models have evolved into a characteristic shape. From this I deduce that scale models just don't perform NSRCA schedules as well as pattern models do. But I have a sneaky, perhaps incorrect, suspicion that the differences go beyond the models. What are these differences, and does anyone compete in both aerobatics groups?

Ed "naive as hell" Hernandez