The Big One

Ron Van Putte vanputte at cox.net
Tue Apr 6 20:17:52 AKDT 2004

On Apr 6, 2004, at 10:16 PM, Edward C. Hernandez wrote:

>    Ok, I've waited long enough and I'm ready to pop the big newbie
> question: what is(are) the difference(s) between NSRCA and IMAC? I
> understand that for IMAC you need a scale model(except for basic
> class), while it is clear to me that NSRCA models have evolved into a
> characteristic shape. From this I deduce that scale models just don't
> perform NSRCA schedules as well as pattern models do. But I have a
> sneaky, perhaps incorrect, suspicion that the differences go beyond
> the models. What are these differences, and does anyone compete in
> both aerobatics groups?

Ed - You are going to get a lot of different answers to your question.
My view is that the people who fly NSRCA events like to fly aerobatic
airplanes with no limits other than weight and size.  The IMAC people
like to fly aerobatic airplanes which are scale-like.  There is a
difference.  There are a few other differences, like box size, but the
type of airplanes are the main difference.  Neither is better than the
other.  It is a personal preference, like preferring vanilla to
chocolate ice cream.

I wonder what answers you'd get if you sent the same question to the
IMAC discussion list (mini-iac at yahoogroups.com).

Ron Van Putte