Engine Starter

RC Steve Sterling rcsteve at tcrcm.org
Tue Apr 6 18:26:34 AKDT 2004

What is probably happening is the Kavan isn't getting all the voltage it
needs, due to resistance. Resistance can come from wire size(too small), or
the jumpers between the batteries (too small or not well connected), or
resistance in a connector, or the internal resistance of poor or failing
batteries.

These big-boy starters, whether Kavan or Sullivan or ?? draw a lot of
current- 20-30 Amps or more.
They want 12 vdc at the brushes. If you start with a 12 volt pack, then have
a 6 volt drop between the small-gage wires, small inter-cell jumpers, a
banana plug or two, plus the internal resistance of the battery, the
remaining 6 volts that actually gets to the starter just isn't enough.

Some people make up for resistance losses by adding cells. It helps, but
make sure you got some real big wire throughout the path as well, and the
battery is capable of putting out 30 amps without a big voltage drop.