Has any body seen this??? Comments?

John Ferrell johnferrell at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 5 09:19:16 AKDT 2004

A local fellow claims to have patented a spread spectrum system several years ago. Lonnie Martin flew the prototype. The fellows name is Ben Mann. His is a friend of, but not related to Wayne Mann who is a highly regarded Heli contestant. As I recall, Ben's system used the public domain spectrum around 900mhz. The place where Lonnie tested it was at CCRC which is in the fall zone of some high powered transmitter towers. Most pattern flyers are scared to death of the field claiming radio interference. Bill Glaze & I fly there frequently.
Ben approached several manufacturers and found zero interest.

We Ham Radio operators are very pessimistic about the planned deployment of the Broadband Power Line distribution scheme that has been approved by the Feds. It is just a matter of time until the that line of transmission towers across the end of the Muncie property will be radiating energy on the whole spectrum, including those frequencies we fly on. The testing for the system has been very primitive. The FCC says that the Power Companies are required to resolve interference problems. I wonder what that means?

Spread Spectrum could get us through the coming interference and may be it won't happen at all.

It is a little early to speculate the Sky is Falling, but it could happen...
John Ferrell
http://DixieNC.US