Mintor Review

David Lockhart DaveL322 at comcast.net
Thu Apr 1 15:02:39 AKST 2004

Jeff,

I think most of the guys involved with this thread probably agree with you.

I think it is worth noting that every exhaust system (save open stack) is
tuned to some degree at some RPM (actually multiple RPMs).  A good muffler
is one that is designed and constructed such that it does very little tuning
at any particular RPM.  Tuned pipes on the other hand are designed to
produce some amount of tuning at a particular RPM.

Traditionally, an engine that advertised having "pipe timed" porting had
very high exhaust port timing and the intended use of the pipe was to
increase maximum power (and the pipe design was oriented at maximum boost).
Increasing max power is only application of tuning the exhaust on a 2C - In
very general terms, 2C exhaust systems can be tuned to -
- increase scavenging of exhaust gases
- accelerate the incoming combustion mixture, and,
- "pack" a more dense charge in the combustion chamber just prior to
combustion (the more classical use).

The whole "art" of tuning a 2C exhaust system is a balance of muffler or
pipe design, tuning lengths, and the actual porting of the engine.

With regard to the modern large pattern 2C, I've extensively tested the
following engines - KB150, OS140 RX, OS 140 EFI, Bully/Webra 145, and Webra
160 on the following mufflers - Bolly 605N (essentially same as 590R), and
Graeber (sp?) muffler, and on the following pipes - Hatori 650 (60 size
pipe), Hatori 900 (same as OS140), Bolly EQ140R, MAC 1092, Webra 145, and
Asano 140.  And I've tested all of those exhaust systems at multiple lengths
on the ground and in the air and with a variety of props.  (yes, it is quite
a bit of data).

The Bolly 590R is an extremely good muffler that works well on a variety of
engines, at a variety of lengths, and with minimal effect on throttle
linearity and midrange mixture.   On some setups, it does make more power
when the header used is longer.  Compared to a well tuned pipe setup, it may
be down as much as 500 RPM on the ground at full throttle - qualifying how
much less power a given engine may make in the midrange is more difficult -
but that is noticeable too.  The apparent amount of torque in the midrange
in the air and the amount of unload are also different.  Practically, my
setups with the muffler turn the same RPM as a pipe, but with 1 or 2" less
pitch on the prop.

Dave