Voodoo Express

Troy Newman troy_newman at msn.com
Tue Sep 30 11:12:23 AKDT 2003

It was fun, I think it was one of the coolest models I have ever flown.

I did some of the rolling circles and rolling loops with it. Performs these
very nice. But this was the 3D version with large elevators and rudder. It
didn't fly in a straight line as well as it could have. I'm sure the pattern
model version would have been better for the sequences....but the 3D ability
of the one I flew was great. Harriers both Upright and Inverted were fairly
easy. The Walls and Parachutes were very dramatic. The different spin and
snap combos that I put it thru would have folded a normal model. It was very
very cool.

I didn't have trouble seeing the model for wings level so much but I found
it tough to orient the fuse for certain things. It was a different view and
a different look that I found tough to orient. The model was very true and
flew extremely well......You just can make a model with those huge surfaces
track and groove like a pattern model. Low rates or not the Surfaces are
just too big and effective to fly pattern stuff with it.

As for flying extremely slow yes its like 8lbs and this is a huge advantage
in 3D stuff....Everybody preaches power but Weight is a bigger concern for
me. Nat has a 91 2 stroke on it and yes its power was adequate for
everything. Torque rolls, just hovering, and some more power hungry stuff,
like blasting out of the hover with multiple snaps going up. It wasn't over
powered and over heavy like so many of the 3D arfs we see on the market
today. The kit calls for a .72 or a 91 and some bozo sticks a 100 or 140 on
it. This plane was really a perfect combination for the forces and the needs
of the model.

I have to really thank Nat for letting me play with it.

I have been thinking about the attributes of this model for a couple days
now....The look is something I don't know I can handle regularly but light
construction and the way the model was designed from the concepts to the
flying model were very interesting. I really think it would make a superb 3D
airshow type of model. I may have to build one just for the kicks.

TN