ES Composite Pipe Repair

Rcmaster199 at aol.com Rcmaster199 at aol.com
Tue Sep 23 15:35:48 AKDT 2003

Maybe it's me but I just don't get this apparent love affair
with the carbon pipes. Epoxy as the binder, as Gray states, is marginal in
almost all 4 stroke cases I have heard about. And to make these things super
light, you have got to make then thin, so strength is doubly compromised,
especially on four strokes with their 500+ degree stack temp.

 A hi temp plastic binder such as a PTFE emulsion, or maybe polyimide
emulsion is a better alternative but then the cost would be 2x and impractical.  And
ceramics, aka Space Shuttle heat shield tiles, are out of this world (sorry
Gray, I couldn't resist)

How much weight is actually saved over a "lightweight"ally pipe anyway? The
Greves is a little over 4 ounces, the Macs 20 cc is a little over 5 ounces and
the Hatori is a little over 6. Are we talking, what, 4 ounces tops??
 Isn't there someplace else one could remove 2 to 4 ounces?

Hey, I am a big proponent of progress and composites offer great advantages
in the correct places, but I have to question if this is one of these places

Firesuit..... hell forget the firesuit> I'm thick skinned enough, literaly,
so fire away

matt K