District Championships - tuning.

Henderson,Eric Eric.Henderson at gartner.com
Tue Sep 23 13:19:17 AKDT 2003

It works with each district having it's own championship design and method. There was a time when not all districts had one. We have progressed from that point in time. It also had to be a flexible formula because of District sizes and membership distribution geographically.

I said it works. Of course that is until a quirk appears for which we did not anticipate or for which did not write a rule.

It's only toy aeroplanes, but the competition aspect does bring out some of our less desirable human traits. A hint of the unfair can raise the bile and get the gourd of the most mild and placid.

One issue that I had to deal with was the including of a Canadian contest in a  USA NSRCA district championship - very tricky - we had encouraged Canada to adopt the US Masters and Advanced schedules, (They already had FAI), to promote cross-border competing. That one was resolved by the ruling that only AMA sanctioned contests counted. (It already is that way in the USA but we needed to apply it to resolve Canadian contests inclusion objections)

As regards joining "late" to secure a championship. It is clear that we want to find as many ways as possible to get folks to join the NSRCA. In the case below it worked, but at what price. It could clearly hurt existing members and even cause resignations etc. I would say that it needs clarification or de-quirking for next year!

My internal personal justice system thinks that only contests after you join should count. But then you have to define when does a person actually join and how do they prove it.... Sending in your application ten minutes before a district Championship might be cutting it a bit fine :-)

Regards,

Eric.