Gaskets

Dean Pappas d.pappas at kodeos.com
Fri Sep 19 07:41:47 AKDT 2003

Hi John,
Let me tell you a story from '83 or so...
A local flyer, who had great luck with his several Rossi 60s bough a new one for that season. After a tank on the ground for break-in, he "leaned" on the engine, and it ran great for about 1 minute. Then, it started to lean out, and the idle got fast and inconsistent. All the normal fixes were tried: the bearings changed, the carb boss sealed and re-sealed, until Sal Battaglia (one heck of a flyer and a great engine doctor) suggested transplanting all the same parts into a new crankcase. It worked. It turns out that the crankcase casting was porous, and after warmup it was a big air leak.

Dean P.