Flight Data Recorder

EHaury at aol.com EHaury at aol.com
Fri Sep 12 03:51:32 AKDT 2003

Terry

The flight data recorder works well and provides useful information. Excel,
and the ability to order the data, is necessary to make best use if it.  I feel
that the altitude data are the most useful, in that they allow assessment of
how well one returns to / maintains entry altitude, really important on things
like vertical eights where the airplane passes through the same point thrice.
Speed data are also informative and, I believe, can help one improve maneuver
presentation.

Having said that, I haven't used it as much as I would like. Getting access
to the data port through the bottom of a Hydeout isn't very convenient. We've
flown it in Andre's Smaragd and did not get consistent altitude data, probably
due to pressure variation within the fuselage. The manufacturer provides info
on how to attach a tube for exterior pressure pickup, we just haven't done
that yet. I'm building a Partner which will have a pitot tube port in the wing
LE, the exterior pressure pickup and easy access through the canopy. All post
season fall projects, along with checking the recorder altitude / speed numbers
for accuracy.

Jim Oddino is using one also. We have both looked at voltage after the
regulator. No surprises here, the regulator does the job. (Might be interesting to
look at volts without the regulator.) Jim has effected a change in software to
improve the range of voltage data acquisition.

Earl