CONTROL HORNS

Bob Pastorello rcaerobob at cox.net
Wed Sep 3 17:27:17 AKDT 2003

Sorry....typing more than thinking ;-)

I put a piece of masking tape on the outside of the sheeting of the surface
being bored.  If it's relatively sawdust-free, and good tape, it will hold
the fibers together as the brass tube cuts through.
    I drill mine in the drill press, using the shucks on the press table,
drilling from the upper surface to the lower, so the tape is on the lower
surface, and against the shuck.
    Holding moderate pressure to the surface/shuck, the drill press with the
tube will go through it like butter, with only light pressure needed.
    Using this technique, one can do both ailerons, both elevators, and the
rudder in about 5 minutes, if being slow.
    Hardwood dowels are coated with thin epoxy, inserted flush with the
sheeting.  If you're cautious, and pre-measure and sand the angles, these
can be very cleanly glued in place.
    After they're cured, drill centers in the same shucks for the 6-32 bolt.
    Works just dandy.

Bob Pastorello, Oklahoma
NSRCA 199, AMA 46373
rcaerobob at cox.net