Control horns, is it just me or... ?

Rick Wallace rickwallace45 at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 2 18:44:18 AKDT 2003

I use 6-32 mild steel (NOT hardened) threaded rod for all control horns.
Available in multi-foot lengths from the local hardware store.

An old K-Factor shows how to do this, but here are the highlights (pics
can be available if needed)

The threaded rod is mounted in a dowel that’s mounted in turn to an end
grain balsa block
 both thick enough to match the control surface
they’re going into.

Drill & tap a hole lengthwise into a piece of ½” dowel
 the dowel
mounts into a ¾ x ¾  end grain balsa block set into the control surface.
When dry, sand flush w/ the surface and thread the rod into the hole /
hit w/ a drop or 2 of thin CA and it’s ready for the clevis connector to
be screwed on (tap the clevis connector 6/32 part way if necessary).

For rudder pull pull, use the same threaded rod, but leave 1-1/2 – 2” on
either side of the rudder. Same mounting technique.

Have hundreds of flights on planes w/ this setup and no looseness/
problems at all.

-Hope this helps –

Rick