Another bearing question....

Rcmaster199 at aol.com Rcmaster199 at aol.com
Wed Oct 22 16:31:19 AKDT 2003

Chris,

The Webra is very easy on the main bearing. It's considerably larger bearing
than in other engines of similar displacement so that's one key reason why
longevity is better. BUT if run lean or the fuel is left in the engine after many
flying sessions rusting things, after run oil is never used, etc., the
bearing will bite the dust. Your fuel is fine

The early sign will be

very slight gritty feel as you turn the spinner just prior to  compression.
If the feel is smooth, the bearing is probably okay. Another progressive sign
is erratic engine runs but eliminate all other variables first (bad fuel, poor
cooling in your set-up etc.) When you start to hear the bearing, it's way too
far gone and it may be ready to chuck a ball retainer, which could destroy
your piston and/or liner. The balls are sliding in the races and not rolling. The
friction from this action is severe, overheating the bearing and the bearing
seat.

Cool Power is what I use and I haven't had any problems. But I run the engine
dry almost always after a session and almost always follow that with some
castor oil as after run. There are several good methods that guys are using and
you only need to choose one and stay with it

Check Ed Hartley's website under engines. He has collected a bunch of info
from all of us on care and feeding of the various 2 stroke powerplants.

Matt K