Newcomer to Pattern and Servo Questions

DIETER ROZEK rozekd at earthlink.net
Sun Oct 19 22:53:52 AKDT 2003

I just joined this list about a couple of weeks ago since I'm in the process
of getting into pattern.  My decision to get into pattern is purely to
improve my flying competency.  I'm guessing this would be the arena to due
this in.  I've been flying since 1984 mostly "sport" Extra 300 and Byron
Sukhoi 26m and sailplanes, http://www.soaringissa.org/.  I live in the Los
Angeles area and the problem here mainly is the loss of flying sites due to
expanding development, especially where soaring is concerned.
Unfortunately, RC doesn't have much pull in local communities and it's been
my experience that the majority of people at the fields are 30+ years of
age.  I'm one of the generation Xers who grew up building plastic kits and
then moved over to RC planes. This was right around the time where the video
game "revolution"  was just beginning to start.  I'm greatful that I didn't
get wrapped up in this movement.  I can't speak for others but I would
quickly grow tired of some of the video games I played at friends' houses
whereas the challanges of building and flying RC models seem to have a
never-ending appeal.  I'm guessing this is the exact opposite of what kids
are experiencing today.  They probably don't have the patience due to the
"instant gratification" nature of society, hence all the ARFs.  I relise
that this is a generalization but I'd be willing to bet that the RC hobby is
losing a lot of future members to video games and other distractions.  This
is unfortunately a sad reality since this hobby offers a lot to whoever is
willing to take the time.  The perceived required dedication / commitment,
work and expense not only in Pattern but RC in general is probably what is
keeping alot of people away.

Now to my question.  I'm planning on buying a Mintor 1.7 and putting this in
a Temptation.  So I would like to hear some opinions regarding servos.  I'm
guessing that JR is the predominant brand used and I would guess that
digital is the way to go?  What about Cored vs. Coreless?  Also, has anyone
had any experience with MULTIPLEX brand servos?  I have used these in the
past in sailplanes but was wondering how these would compare to higher end
JRs or Futabas.

Thanks

Dieter

# discussion-request at nsrca.org