Decline of pattern / Translation

Leo Katila maac35 at shaw.ca
Sat Oct 18 14:42:46 AKDT 2003

        I have been following this thread with interest and feel compelled
to comment-----I "m a relative newbie to pattern but having built my first
model airplane in 1939 I do have some credentials .
        About five years ago ( arter flying rc for over 30 years) I was just
about ready to give it all up,chuck the whole thing and try something else.
I was just bored with boring holes thru the sky .  Mabye I should try
golf----I 'm a northern snowbird and winter in Southern California and a
friend (Harry Gould) said " hey why do'nt you try pattern ---you might like
it"  ----Well to make a long ,and enjoyable story short---I was hooked .
        After flying intermediate  , badly , for four years , last year I
got a good airplane ( ZN Synergy) and this year I'm flying Masters ,very
badly, completely pumped up , totally focused  and fully challenged .  I
wake up every day and think "wow ,what a great day----I can go flying"---I
can assure you all that those that take home all the hardware and trophys
can have no more fun than this old guy. I find it hard to describe how much
I have enjoyed all the new friends , the cameraderie , thecontests,the whole
pattern scene.
        Yes we are losing pattern flyers to other disciplines ,but is it any
wonder-----30 years ago we didnt have IMAC , helis , jets , and all the rest
.
        So whats the point of my post? I guess ,it's that for every pattern
flyer we lose theres a sport flyer out there somewhere ,just like I was .
The point ? I dont know----Just relax , build and fly , compete and enjoy
this great hobby/sport we're fortunate enough to be a part of.
Leo Katila--- Original Message -----