Decline of pattern / Translation

Adam Quennoz aquennoz at ipa.net
Fri Oct 17 13:48:51 AKDT 2003

BRAVO Ed!!

Adam Q
  Every club newletter I write up begins with what a good time it is to see everyone and the friendships that have been made.  Including that this is the reeason for competing.

  I disagree most don't get it.  Look at the number of sport pilots that go to fly ins to see old friends.  It is there.  Look at the coffee crew(old farts, geezers or what ever each club has a name for then, albeit affectionately)  They put one flight in but talk for hours, they get it.

  We have to realize most either don't want to compete for what ever reason, and/or in our society of instant gratification don't want to strive towards a goal.  I believe this is the biggest problem..

  Lets take a difficult but very rewarding manuever, the rolling circle.  Took me a solid summer of failed attempts to achieve a very ugly 4 roll roller.  Then another 2 years to get to make the thing look decent for IMAC.  No one in our 100 member club has any desire to work at something that dedicatedly just to be able to do it.  Herein lies the problem.

  I don't believe Pattern needs to change.  I don't believe we are doing anything wrong either.  The simple fact is Pattern requires a commitment, with effort, to accomplish the goal of flying better and most are simply not willing to make that commitment.  This is fine as we live in America and should be able to choose.  What we do have to do is accept how things are and work from there.  As stated in an earlier discussion, when someone shows interest then we can try to get them to give Pattern a whirl.

  Just my thoughts.

  ed