Decline of pattern / Translation

mike mueller mups1953 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 17 11:07:20 AKDT 2003

 Getting he word to others is a slow process. It starts at your local flying club. Take an interest in a good sport flyer with a decent attitude. He probably already looks up to you and you can influence his decision. Conversly a pattern guy with a bad attitude towards sport flyers can get others thinking that were all a bunch of jerks. It really starts at this level. If everyone on this list made an effort to bring a local newbie with him to a least 1 contest next year we would have growth. Pattern is cool as it is, we just need more positive exposure. But hey that's just my opinion.              Mike

Anthony Abdullah <aabdu at sbcglobal.net> wrote:I don't want to get anything started, but I had a thought inspired from an off list conversation with a pattern buddy.

We go to pattern competitions and most of the time we love it. I have had great pattern weekends in Lancaster, Oh. in a nearly constant downpour and realized that the flying and competition are only half the story. What we experience at a contest does not translate well to sport pilots. I know, at least for me, that when I tell sport flyers about contests we talk about the planes and the manuevers. Unfortunately the friendships made, the sportsmanship, the camaraderie, the fellowships, and the sense of accomplishment, just do not translate well to people who have not experienced it. I always struggle when I'm asked, often, what you get for winning. They never quite understand that the trophy is only half the story.

So the $50,000 question is: How do we help translate the pattern experience to non pattern flyers to get them to at least give it a shot?

Just a few thoughts.
Anthony