Decline of pattern / Translation

Keith Black tkeithb at comcast.net
Fri Oct 17 10:11:26 AKDT 2003

> How do we help translate the pattern experience to non pattern flyers to get them to at least give it a shot?

I think you just did.

Gray Fowler told me pretty much the same thing you've said regarding the fellowship and I found that very appealing. In addition he let me know that most beginning sportsman fliers are all over the sky at their first contests and I shouldn't worry about not being good enough. That and a little bit of urging got me to my first contest.

I personally was quite worried about flying in front of judges, but looked at it as a personal challenge to overcome. When I flew my first round without crashing I was delighted.

Of course you have to realize that people get the same type of fellowship and camaraderie from other activities and groups as well. Also, it takes a certain type of personality to be afraid of something and consider that a *reason* to do it. Therefore my reasons for jumping in won't apply to everyone.

So next time someone asks you about pattern flying don't forget to tell them about the fellowship, I'm proof that's a persuasive part of the equation.

Keith Black