Bearing prices, for shame

John Ferrell johnferrell at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 15 12:55:00 AKDT 2003

RE:
"P.S. in the APC example: I would think that they have to reset the equipment that sets the pitch and diameter of the props. The time they spend doing that costs them money, and the time spent makeing specialty props where they could be making 10x6 props also costs them money so I can see charging a premium. "

I am not sure of the reliability of my source, BUT it is my understanding that the big cost in APC Props is in the cost of the manufacturing equipment. I was told that cnc equipment produces the dies and the injection molding equipment is the same on all setups.

When a business takes the risk on a capital investment there is a break even point, then there is a period where the only costs are supplies and labor. It is not unusual to see a markup of five or ten times the current cost of goods sold.

It is generally accepted that the risk justifies the reward.

The question arises :  "When is the reward excessive?"

John Ferrell
6241 Phillippi Rd
Julian NC 27283
Phone: (336)685-9606