Teflon headers, followup

EHaury at aol.com EHaury at aol.com
Thu Oct 9 07:01:45 AKDT 2003

I've used the 5033K39 in "tunneled" (Typhoon) and "untunneled" (Hydeout) for
several years. Headers are either AAP or CD (cut 0.4" from the circumference
of a piece of 5/8 tubing for a 1/2" "bushing for the CD). Pipes are Hatori
mounted at the inlet and outlet (stinger) on a 5/8 x 5/8 Lord mount. A piece of
3/4" ID silicone insulator (smaller at stinger) protects wire ties that fasten
everything to "clips" on the Lords. I make the tubing a bit longer than most,
around 8",

The tunneled version lasts 200+ flights, the untunneled have not failed in
over 500+ flights. Lord mounts will generally give up before the tubing.

This tubing is on the ragged edge or its heat tolerance. If you find it
necessary to run the engine for more than a couple of seconds at full throttle on
the ground expect to replace the tubing often. This sort of operation can
produce exhaust temps >150 deg above the rating of the tubing and will take it out
fast. "Normal" part throttle flight operation is on the order of 50 deg less
than the tubing is rated, plus there is good air flow to help.

Earl