Engine runs lean, old Webra 61. Who can help?

Urs Baertschiger ursbaertschiger at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 28 11:29:02 AKST 2003

Hi all,

I very much would appreciate any advice that could lead to the solution of
the said problem. -
Recently I got an old pattern bird out again after storing it for a couple
of years. I didn't fly it no longer due to a persistently lean running
engine, a Webra 61 ABC rear exhaust. Had some spare time and thought I could
find the reason for the lean running. However, all my efforts didn't show
any noticeable improvement. The engine is equipped with a fiber glass pipe
(Hatori copy), a pump and the Webra Dynamics slide carb with remote mixture
control.
I made the following changes or adjustment, always one at the time. All test
runs on the ground, no flying:
1) Checked tank, all fuel lines including fuel pick-up. Checked also for
kinks in the lines.
2) Disassembled, cleaned and checked carb.
3) Bypassed pump.
4) Changed plug from Enya #5 to OS - F.
5) Extended pipe length by 1".
6) Tried different props. Instead of 12x10.5 I tried 11x11 and 12x10.
7) Changed carb.
8) Changed pump setting.

What else should I check? - Apart from the usual replacement of bearings and
occasionally a piston/liner set the engine was running perfectly for several
hundred flights before this problem appeared.

Many thanks in advance for any advice.

Kind Regards

Urs
NSRCA #3069