Building & alignment Laser Level

BUDDYonRC at aol.com BUDDYonRC at aol.com
Thu Nov 27 10:09:02 AKST 2003

Just thought I would share this.
I am currently in the building mode and use a jig to set up an align my
airplane projects, some of you may remember the jig from the K-Factor several years
ago.
While exploring methods to improve on the setup to make it fool proof and
easier to set up I decided to install a laser system to enhance the digital level
method that I have been using in order to give me a visual look that would
allow me to see the total alignment picture with all points and adjustments
being indicated at the same time. this will allow me to see the effects of a
change in alignment  and the effect it has on other points of alignment and make
corrections without the time consuming and difficult task of making hundred of
repetitive measurements to assure everything is correct. In other words a
visual real time picture of cause and effect.
I did a lot of looking to try and find the lasers required for a reasonable
price that had all the features that were needed.
While in the tool department of my local Sears Roebuck store to pick up a few
tools I was looking around and found a sign that had a sale on what they call
Level Laser Trac $34.00
Item #48247 after watching a how to video they were playing I decided it may
work and that if it would that I would need two of them so for sixty-eight
bucks what the heck.

These units have built in level's a mounting system and a magnetic base
complete with adjustment screws for leveling, they project a flat plane laser beam
180 degrees. which Is adjustable to any angle horizontal to vertical
After making two mounting stands to attach them to my jig table I proceeded
to check them out to compare accuracy with my digital level and found that they
are infinitely accurate.
Projection distance is over thirty feet and they also have a base that will
mount on a standard camera tripod but the one I have is not stable enough to be
useful so I made my stands out of a wooden block and 1/4-20 all thread which
screws into the tripod mounting plate.
The beauty of the flat plane beam is that it allows you to take measurements
from any place on your building board surface and establish a level line or
point anywhere on your model where you need it. They work great and you will be
hard pressed to beat the price.
No, I don't have stock in Sears Roebuck.
I will follow up with pictures later for those who may have an interest.
Buddy