CTE

Keith Black tkeithb at comcast.net
Tue Nov 25 16:26:56 AKST 2003

I'm using servos in my stab on my current Aries and what you've just pointed out is really the only concern I have about the setup. Since the servo is buried in the stab the control arm must be at least a certain length to extend out far enough to attach the push-rod and not bump into the base of the stab. The result is that this ends up creating too much throw at the servo arm and thus you're not using 100% of your servo range in moving the elevator. I've already got the control horn position as far out as it can go but I still only use about 65% to 70% of my servo travel.

That being said, I really haven't noticed it being to sensitive or not enough granularity in the elevator control and I have not observed any problems with the elevator halves throwing unevenly. I have just over 100 flights on the plane. I've had several other pattern pilots fly my plane (even recently), from Advanced to FAI, and everyone seems to think it flies very true and straight.

Now, after that glowing endorsement I must tell you that on the new plane I'm building I plan on using pull-pull on the elevator. Why? Ease of setup and to see if I notice any differences.

Here's a link to a picture of my stab with the servo embedded. The servo is the JR DS3421 mini digital, it's an awesome servo for this application.

http://www.fototime.com/E1B3341FEB6EA82/standard.jpg

Keith Black