Glassing wing center section

Edward Skorepa edsko at xmission.com
Tue Nov 25 11:18:13 AKST 2003

It's quite important to cut glass on bias (0-45) then both warp and fill
yarns will work. Strength wise, one layer of bias cut 4oz equals one layer
of 0-90 cut 6oz. You will save weight and you will have smaller step. Also
if you can, chose what's called balance weave cloth (warp and fill yarns
have equal number of filaments). Do NOT use any kind of fast curing 5 or 30
min epoxies. Use thin laminating resin preferably West System by Gougeon
bros. It has been designed for laminating over the  wood in boat industry
and it's user friendly. I'm glassing center section with only two layers of
bias cut 4oz cloth applied separately. First 2 inch wide over the joint. Let
it cure completely then lightly sand and make smooth transition on both
sides to balsa. Apply 2nd layer over which will be wider than fuse by 1 inch
on both sides and do the same. Ideally, your glassing job should consists of
60% of glass cloth and 40% of resin by weight. You should see the weave, if
you can't you have way too much resin which will do nothing to strength.
Laminate must be flexible otherwise when resin breaks so glass fibers
inside. Paint small amount of resin on balsa first, then lay down cloth.
Press it down with brush, wait till resin soak in then add some more. Be
patient, don't rush.

Ed Skorepa/EScomposites